Maria Weißenstein is one of the most important and most well-known places of pilgrimage in South Tyrol. The origins of Maria Weißenstein date back to 1553, when the Virgin Mary appeared to the farmer Leonhard Weißensteiner. As a sign of gratitude he constructed a chapel, where people could pray for help. This chapel quickly became a popular destination for many pilgrims. To this day, the Weißenstein pilgrimage church is one of the most renowned and most important places of pilgrimage in the Alps.